What are our goals as parents? We believe that it is not only to be 'tall trees' ourselves, planted firmly by streams of living water, rooted deeply in the Lord, but also to raise up 'tall trees' of our precious children. That's what we're trying to do around here, and we'd like to share with you just some of the things we're doing as a family on our journey of growth in the Lord. We hope you enjoy the adventures!

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ugh... It's allergy and cold season!

Well... other than the coughing, scratchy, sore throat, sneezing, stuffy head, running nose, itching, red eyes and the never ending "hack, hack, hack", we're doing just dandy! I think the boys started out as allergy driven colds, and I'm thinking that I just have allergies. Charles is the only one who seems well, which is good, since he's the one who has to go to work!

In spite of our sniffles and coughing, we've been out trying to get things planted in the rain. Last Saturday, May 2nd, as a family we attended the Clackamas County Master Gardner's Spring Fair! Despite the rain alternating between drizzling and pouring, and Nathanael developing a fever during the tour of all the vendors, we had a good time. Nathanael has recently developed a keen interest in bleeding hearts (Dicentra spectabilis)

and therefore, it was his mission for the day to spend some of his saved up allowance funds on a beautiful specimen for him to plant at home. Mikael, on the other hand, had not really bothered with flowers and didn't plan on spending his money on anything like that until I just had to detour into this one little booth that had Japanese iris of a different color than what I currently have, so I bought the iris ensenata "Gypsy Queen"

and while I was paying, Mikael noticed the picture on the tag of a Dianthus "Eastern Star". Though we didn't stop and buy it then, all throughout our browsing and lunch time, all Mikael could talk about was "his dianthus." So, when we went back through and purchased everything we needed for the garden, ("we" being Mikael and I, since Charles and Nathanael went to the Suburban to get sicky-kid-Nathanael out of the rain) we also had to stop so Mikael could buy "his dianthus"

which is still in the pot and not in the ground yet!

Among the other things we purchased were garden starts of tomatoes, cucumbers (eating and pickling), peppers (hot and mild), zucchini squash, yellow crook neck squash, basil, rosemary and sage. I also purchased a flat of marigolds to plant around the garden to entice the good bugs to come and eat the bad bugs! I still have to find rhubarb, raspberries and strawberries. Then, I have to plant all our other seeds, but that will come when the garden isn't a marsh!

ah... ahh... ahchoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment